We had a brief warm spell here in the Carolinas recently. I like to take advantage of the break in weather whenever we get a chance.
Some ideas for activities for children if you have a brief warm spell include:
1) Going for walks! This is my favorite. Our street is a mile long and we have a great sidewalk to keep it safe. The walk is pleasant and trees over-arch the street from both sides making nice shade, even for the hot sunny days. The tree canopy is high enough to allow breezes so it always feels just about perfect.
2) Grilling dinner. We give the children (or teams of two or three) each a different focus. The oldest is now 13, so grilling is on the menu for any teenager! This is a pastime I love to share.
3) Washing the cars. Our conversion van is nearly 9′ high, so it does not fit in most automated car washes. But it is great fun for the kids and helps us all learn responsibility and how to take care of things God has given us.
4) Pets. For us pets now means chickens. We are learning all about egg-layers and how to feed and care for them. Warm weather is a great time to do this.
5) Gardening. Even in the ‘winter’ (it does not typically get down to freezing much here in Charlotte so things stay pretty green) we can do some weeding and prepping for spring as well as picking up sticks off the lawn.
6) Sports. Although I currently have a broken toe and am sidelined until it heals, we normally like to kick around a soccer ball or ride bikes.
7) Fire pit. If it is dry enough and we can get chores done early enough and plan ahead, it is always fun to roast some marshmallows over the fire pit.
Girl with many hulahoops
8) Go to the park. Frisbee, hoola-hoops, festivals, carnivals, outdoor concerts or just plain playing in the sand.
9) Just plain old hanging around and chillin’. Nothing is better than crashing out after a hard day at play!