I recently published a blogpost about activities for children during nice weather. But the weather doesn’t always play along.
When the weather is cold or wet or both, there are still plenty of fun things to do with children. Here’s a list of some of our favorites.
1) Family reading: we love to read. Frog and Toad books are perennial favorites of the children (and myself). We read these to each other a lot. When two little ones get into a fight, I put them on the couch next to each other and have them read Frog and Toad to each other. You can also do quiet family reading time, Bible reading, or “Daddy reading”–I like to read a chapter of the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, time permitting, each day. J.R.R. Tolkien has such an incredible writing style, the tales are entertaining and adventurous, and he paints a setting like none other I have known.
2) Board games. I have always loved board games, and I think the children take after me in this respect. Board games are perfect training tools for how to deal with winning and losing in life, as well as being good sports, and learning to take calculated risks and not be afraid. Whether you win or lose in board games a few things always hold when you are through: 1) you are still alive, 2) Mom and Dad still love you, 3) God still loves you. Never forget that.
3) Baking and making. Whether it is simple dinner rolls, pancakes, or desserts, it is always fun to do some baking on a rainy day.
4) Clean up. House chores can be fun with the right attitude, especially if everyone chips in and helps out. Many hands make light work. We like to put on some groovy tunes to keep the mood and motion peppy.
5) Help Mom with laundry. Folding is a good thing for children (and Dads) to learn. Doing it together makes it fun.
6) Story telling. Children have the best imaginations and come up with the funniest things. With all the reading we do, they also learn to create settings and give characters “voice”.
7) Making juice drinks or smoothies. Frozen berries with yogurt become an easy treat and are fun to make on a rainy day. If it is cold, warm it up and make hot cocoa or spiced cider instead!
8) Spa treatment for Mom. This is one of the favorite things the little ones love to do! A towel on the couch a few helpful children and a little lotion and Mommy gets one great foot and leg rub! Throw in a hairbrush and an aspiring salon artist and Mommy gets a scalp massage and new hairdo at the same time!
9) If all else fails, wrestling always works. Note: for aging Dads and adolescent/preteen children–approach this with caution! Once the youngsters reach 2/3 of your body weight it might be time to throw in the towel! But while they are still small I like to cover the room with pillows, get on my knees, and play “Daddy takes on all comers”. The couches are ‘safe zones’ for the kiddies, they can’t wrestle each other, and Daddy can call a time out when needed.